[VAC] Inspecting A Vintage Airstream Prior To Purchase

Susan,

About three or four months ago several of us on the list contributed
postings in response to similar questions.  The postings consisted of our
own personal suggestions of items to check when inspecting a vintage A/S for
possible purchase based on our own experiences and, in many cases, items
that were overlooked when we purchased our own vintage trailers.  The
combined contributions, in my humble opinion, constituted a fairly thorough
list of things to look for and included some basic suggestions on details to
assist in making a determination.  The combined writings would make decent
reading material for someone planning to inspect a vintage A/S.  Our
suggestions are not all inclusive but represented the best information we
had.

Tom Patterson, a list subscriber, maintains an excellent personal website on
which he archives VAC postings that he considers worth saving.  Tom's
Website: http://www.tompatterson.com  I don't know for sure but the
inspection check lists might be something Tom would have archived.

Regarding your black tank question, I'm not sure '58 - '59 trailers had a
holding tank.  I have not owned one that elderly but remember reading
postings indicating early A/Ss did not have holding tanks.  If late '50s
trailers did have holding tanks, my experience and knowledge is limited and
only applies to mid '60s trailers.

Someone with specific knowledge and experience will probably answer your
question.

Good luck on your vintage A/S shopping.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX