[VAC] Re: Manual 5Speed Transmission 5th gear nut

There has been a serious problem with the nut that holds 5th gear on the 5
speed NV4500 although the problem appears to have been solved with a new
style of nut.
This nut is put on with locktite, torqued to 350 ft lbs and then has an
allen screw that tightens it further
  Apparently it does not give any warning but is not disabling as many of
our transport drivers have had to return home in 4th gear.
The fifth gear is mounted on the rear of the transmission in the tailshaft
housing. When the nut comes off it slides back along the output shaft and
the gear works off the splines and end up riding on the shaft also.
I have not personally experienced the problem and do have the newest nut on
mine.  I have known others to see it within 30k miles.

There has been at least one class action lawsuit filed because of this
problem which only seems to appear on the Dodge diesels.  At least I have
not heard of it on a chev.

I also have not heard of the problem on the six speed  but they are few and
far between at this point.  If it is a regular problem I will hear of it
soon since our guys log so many miles compared to the average user.

Anyone considering a used Dodge Turbo diesel 99 or older would do well to
find out if "the fix is in"
Rick Davis  1602
Jamestown, Tn
54 safari