[VAC] Re: Towing With A Manual 5Speed Transmission

Yes the gear ratios in the heavier duty NV transmissions are nicer, than
for the smaller trucks, even in NV. I bought my '98 F-150 for $15,900
off the lot, I'd have had to pay at least 18,800 to order a Dodge and
waited several months. My old truck had a broken engine that ran but
sounded like it was going to toss pistons and rods most any time. It was
the middle of the winter and I don't have a heated garage to do the
rebuild, so I took the $2000 trade in offer and drove off with the '98
Ford and after the third tank of gas had the axle gears changed. That
gear change I had planned from the start but wanted a bit of data to see
what the change did to gas mileage. Since cruising at 55 in fifth gear
has the engine chugging along at 1500 RPM, practically lugging range,
raising the engine speed hadn't hurt gas mileage, and it sure drives
NICE. Great throttle response.

As I read the truck discussions on some of the farm pages, the thing to
watch out for in the NV 5 and 6 speed transmissions is the nut that
holds the 5th gear to the shaft. It tends to come loose and cause a
mess. I suspect looseness is detectable before there's damage, but
people making a truck work don't necessarily pause for prevention.

Point I make is that at the sacrifice of low engine speed while
cruising, it is practical to select an after market rear axle ratio that
will give the necessary starting in first gear for even the rotten first
gear ratios available in 1/2 ton trucks.

And my 4.6L Ford engine likes to turn fast so the gas mileage wasn't
changed. Engine life probably is shortened, but for most applications
the engine sees lower torque loads because of the higher axle ratio so
the thrust loads are smaller on the cylinder walls and rod bearings
which should improve longevity. And except for the very occasional 2nd
or third gear hill climbs the engine speed with the manual transmission
is likely to be slower than the ordinary automatic transmission shifting
down excessively under cruise control on short hills. However that will
depend on the driver and driver's attitude. Sometimes when the light
turns green and there's a rumbling hot rod along side, its hard to not
stay in front...

Gerald J.