[VAC] Re: Twin to Double Bed Conversion

Hi  Cheyanne,

Harvey is correct as my '69 Safari has this layout.

> It is not necessary to reinvent the wheel.  Wally Byam used an excellent
> system in many early rear bath trailers.  He installed a convertible
> couch/bed along one wall that was called  a gaucho.

However, rather than two long sections, there are three.  The smallest
cushion being about 10 inches and it hides behind the cushion used as the
back of the couch.

The platform that slides out into the isle has four hardwood arms with a
roller on the wall end of the arm.  The roller slides in a galvanized
channel that is locked in the base cabinet.  When the platform is pulled
into the isle, the wood arms function as a cantilevers; that is, there
aren't any supports under the portion pulled into the isle other than the
base cabinet.  If I recall, the hardwood arms have a notch that fits the
isle side of the base cabinet so the platform is more or less level in it's
open position.  The shelf is raised out of the notch and then slid back
against the wall.  The angle created by raising the shelf  to stow the bed,
keeps it in place during travel or use as a couch.  I haven't used the bed
in it's full open position, so I can't say how much isle is available to get
to the rear bath.  Seems like about half the isle?

I'm out of pocket for the week and can't post any pictures until I return to
my home.   When I return, I'll take pictures of the assembly and post them
in the "files" section?  All the furniture in my Safari is removed and
taking pictures of the parts is easily done.  However, it seems like your
best choice might be to look to an A/S being salvaged.  If one is not
available, I think any competent carpenter could construct the platform
easily.

I wanted twin beds and got a full size.  You want a full size .  .  .

Joy