[VAC] 1962 14 x 14 vent/fan: replace -vs- rehab

I've yet to commit on the final disposition of my 14 x 14 vent/fan.  The
more I look at that old Hehr aluminum cover, the more I think I'd rather
shine it up and use it.  Has anyone retrofitted and original 14 x 14 vent
with a new fan motor? Or tried to convert one to a tilt-up instead of a
2-post crank-up? Seems like the tilt-up provides a less obstructed path for
powered air flow, but more risk of rain entry when used as passive vent.
Any experiences?

Bob Harper
'62 Globe Trotter in SC

p.s. - I did get an excellent price quote from Adohen@aol.com on the
Fantastic fan. Anyone shopping for one be sure to check it out.