[VAC] Vintage Trailer Market Values

Wayne,

Your observations regarding selling vs. asking prices of vintage trailers
were interesting.   I think it would be a worthwhile project for the
"elders" of the VAC to create a databank of vintage trailer values to use as
buying and selling guides and to assist members in obtaining insurance
coverage and even assisting to resolve potential disputes between owners and
insurance companies in the event of significant insured losses.  I volunteer
my assistance in whatever way I can be useful.  I am frequently aware of the
enormous contributions many of you have made to the vintage A/S hobby and
the rest of us have just come along to enjoy or benefit from your efforts.

The depressed prices may be a combination of a cyclical downturn (the stock
market and economy) and seasonal (cold winter and high heating costs).
Vintage Airstreams, although important to many of us, probably belong in the
class of things considered discretionary spending or even luxuries.  Since
the stock market has been on a downward slope since last March and home
heating costs are soaring, many folks are probably not as willing to spend
money on something they don't need right now.  Hopefully spring time wander
lust and an improving economy will restore much of the lost enthusiasm.

My vintage purchase was not representative but I'll share with you what I
paid.  It is a '66 Safari that was complete with the exception of the
upholstery on the two gaucho beds.  It had not been used or maintained in
years and was very dirty, has a few light hail dings on the roof and one
four inch shallow crease on the right rear corner just above the bumper end.
The original plasticoat or long ago recoat is fair to good except the roof.
It had two badly cut and poorly installed cheap Plexiglas windows.  It
needed many other repairs and replacements as well.  I saw it sitting behind
a farmer's house out in the county last summer and stopped to inquire about
it.  The old farmer first said he didn't want to sell it but was friendly
and showed it to me.  When I conveyed guarded enthusiasm he said he might
take $2,000 for it.  He was living in a very old and very run down farm
house on which he had installed approximately 1/3 or a corrugated tin barn
roof several years ago and the rest was deteriorated 50 - 60 year old
shingles.  Recognizing an opportunity, I inquired about trading my labor to
complete the tin roof on his house for the Safari.  We struck a deal, he
bought the material, and I spent two weeks in July installing his roof.  I'm
not a professional roofer but had done a couple shingle roofs on my rent
houses.  I had no knowledge or experience with  metal roofs.  I put in about
70 hours of labor on the job and have told friends that at the value of my
labor, $1/hour, I figure the vintage A/S cost me about $70.  Realistically,
my amateur but satisfactory job was probably worth $700 - $1400 considering
prevailing rates in this area for unskilled or semi-skilled labor.  I guess
that was about what the trailer was truly worth but I had more free time
than money available so it was an attractive deal to me.

Owning the vintage A/S has opened up a new world of opportunity to learn
about and share information about A/Ss, new friends, and new travel
adventures.  I am anxious to get it in serviceable condition so I can join
the WDCU and VAC in some activities this year.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
WBCCI 1171, WDCU, VAC
and a couple of Airstreams