[VAC] Re: Spec. for orig. window glass, 1962

> RJ Dial wrote:  The original glass is plain 1/8" window glass.  (re: question re: '62 window panes)

B.H. reply: Are you sure it's 1/8"? That would be double strength glass. I bought one replacement pane that thickness (.125") and the Hehr retainer material was VERY tight. It will go, but it had me wondering if the double strength was correct. I used warm soapy water on the rubber from Hehr, and worked it in slowly with a stubby screwdriver and a wooden push stick. I can't get a micrometer on the original glass (those I didn't remove from frames), but it sure looks thinner ... I would have thought .090" (regular single strength glass).

RJ wrote to Scott:  >I wonder if the yr/model you are working on does not have Hehr C1200 windows (the p/n is on the lower external trim frame).

B.H. : The #'s on my windows (1962) all start with "HEHR C1299". Side windows continue ..."11056185291" (roughly 18" x 29"), and the front and rear window #'s continue with ..."221431" (roughly 22" x 43").

Rick wrote: >They make two different sizes of seal. One for 1/8 glass,and3/16 glass the
last time I purchased it.

B.H. : Rick, have you got Hehr part #'s? I've never heard this before.
Scott wrote: >Unless what I received a few year back is the wrong stuff, the window retainer
strip is not available. What is available is something similiar that has to be cut, then cemented
in place with silicone. I chose to reuse my old, hard, shrunken retainers rather than what is being
sold. They do a better job. In my book the stuff that is available is a very poor substitute.

B.H. reply - I could see having this reaction to the Hehr material.  I am not finding it easy to work with. Not impossible, but certainly not easy. It's 10x harder to install than those original plastic retainer strips in my experience. But it works. Did you use soapy water on it?  Is your glass original (still held in with the black mastic tape)? Did it seem like the Hehr rubber stuff was just too big to go in?  I thought so too at first, but with the soapy water and some careful persuading, it goes in and seems to make a good seal at the surface with the glass. This is without any trimming of the part. (I remember the info in the Vintage Advantage about modifying a part from Hehr - maybe by Bud Cooper?)

All this for one measly part  .... you lurkers see what you're getting into?

Bob Harper (still having fun)
'62 Globe Trotter in SC