[VAC] Street side sofa bed

The street side sofa/bed in our recently purchased 68 Caravel was
modified by the previous owner.  The frame, drawers and cushions are
original.  However, there are no slides, just a piece of 1/2" plywood
resting on top of the frame.  There are two, 1" dowels screwed into to
the plywood at each end which are used as legs for support when the sofa
is extended into a bed.  The whole set up is unsightly and I would like
to get this back to as close to original as I can.  I know B. Walters
Co. originally made slides but I  have no idea how they are attached or
what they look like installed.  I only have one inch of clearance
between the top of the storage drawers and the bottom of the plywood.
The dealer told me to just get a piece of 1/2" molding to cover the edge
of the plywood and forget about the rest.  Doggedly I am determined to
come up with a better solution.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Robert Rasmussen
Dallas, Texas