[VAC] Re: Sway Control

Marc,

My '71 Globe Trotter uses a ball hitch, two 'load leveler bars', a
friction type sway control and safety chains.  My old '84 Dodge van (318
V-8) tows it like a 'dream' at the speed limit (and then some
downhill).  I don't know what brand my hitch set-up is, but I think the
sway control may be a Reese.  Trucks passing on the Interstate don't
bother me.  When I pass someone or drive on curves, such as exit ramps,
it feels like a straight, solid 40' rig.

> an old equalizer hitch
I don't really know what you mean by this, but it does sound like you
have something more than just a ball hitch with safety chains, but I
don't understand what.

> Will a friction type sway control improve the feel of the '71 GT
It will reduce the 'side to side' motion of your trailer.

> or would I have to get a dual cam set-up to do that?
I guessing you're referring to what I call two 'load leveler bars',
which will reduce the 'up and down' motion of your trailer.

> Will sway control help that oversteer feeling?
If you're referring to the 'side to side' motion of your trailer (making
the rear end of the car swing out), the answer should be YES.
You did say "car", could it be that your '71 GT is heavier than your
car, but your '63 GT isn't?

-Michael
Newton, MA
1971 Globe Trotter