[VAC] Re: Solar panels / controllers etc Dean Sale

Toby,

I placed the panels about four inches high or so on the out board
edges and about three inches high near the center of the A/S.

Somehow with my warped head and calculations I thought
the panels would see more sunlight placed that way.  The
instructions that accompanied the panels said something
about heating while making electricity and suggested about
one and one half inch clearance.  The placement allows plenty
of air to circulate below the panels and also provides about
20 square feet of shade on the top of the A/S.  I guess the
shade could help keep the body cooler.  The panels as installed
are about an inch higher than the front vent and well below the
height of the air conditioner.

If the panels were to ever hit an overhang I would likely
loose the television antenna and airconditioner cover at
the same time.

If the brackets were the same length center and out board
because of the curvature of the AirStream roof the panels
would be perpendicular to a lower point in the sky. I thought
placing the panels more towards the horizontal
would allow more sunlight conversion.

Anyway,  they seem to keep two batteries fully charged
and provide enough electricity to run my A/S.
In the worst case the time to recharge has been two in the afternoon.
That is using the Morningstar ProStar 12 charge controller as the
indicator of charge condition.  That was following a day without
sunshine and very little light.

Dean