[VAC] Re: Solar panel/controller - just thoughts

Bob:

   I have not installed any solar panels yet but have been thinking hard for
the past few years about installing single solar panels between my (i) front
& center vents and (ii) center & rear vents on my 1956 22' Flying Cloud.  I'd
have both panels the same width, though in my application the length of each
would be different due to different distances (38" and 44") between the three
vents on my trailer.  I like the Kyocera KC-60 and KC-80 models for my
application due to the relatively short distance between my vents.  I will
regulate the panels with a Solar Boost 2000E, see "www.rvpowerproducts.com".

    Picking solar panels wider than 15 inches will allow the use of two very
long aluminum (say 2" x 2") angle irons from the rear of the front vent to
the front of the rear vent.  If you have more than 2 vents (?? you may not on
your Globe Trotter), you might consider this even though your present plans
call for only one solar panel.  Long angle irons will allow you to install a
second solar panel later between the other set of vents, if more than just
two.  If you have only 2 vents, ignore this paragraph.

    I will mount the angle irons on large "L" feet on both sides (streetside
and curbside) so the feet can act as hinges which allow the panels to be
swung up together towards the sun in either direction.  The end result will
be two solar panels lengthwise between the respective vents on the crown of
the roof, up out of harm's way and mostly out of sight.  Same hinging
principle works with one solar panel.

   For your application you might consider the Siemens SP75 (75 watts) at
47.3 inches long and 20.8 inches wide; try "www.siemens.com" as a guess on my
part.
You also might sketch it all out on graph paper first, then use cardboard
templates as a final check that the ends of the solar panel clear the lip
edges of the roof vents.

Fred C.