[VAC] Re: WBCCI MEMBERSHIP

This is a value judgement, and an insinuation that those interested in the social aspects of WBCCI do not appreciate the "magic" of Airstreams.  My experience says otherwise.  Can't a member do both?

There is, definitely, a tendency for a club to age, and for older members to be in charge - especially if no effort is made to recruit younger members and get them involved as club committee people and as officers.  This is sad, and reflects the trend towards an aging membership in WBCCI.  And, older members are more likely to be "set in their ways."  IMHO, the only unforgivable thing is to be rude, forming exclusive cliques.

Still, I find the repeated negative references here to older members to be in poor taste. Remember, we VAC members are, often, seen as elitist by many members of WBCCI.  That's probably because we tend to be younger, and youth tends to arrogance (I'm an arrogant youngster at 69).  It's a hard path - to be one of only a handful of young people in a predominately older club - but it's not made easier by insisting that the club make itself over for your particular tastes.  It can happen, but you have to make it happen; the other club members are happy as things are.

It's like my own local chapter which actively states it is not an old folks club, but then proceeds to list all the obituaries and members in hospitals in the newsletter.  There is never any information about Airstream, the trailer, in the newsletter.   This is not to suggest disrespect for the elderly and their health problems, but it turns off younger members. After all , I'm 55 and will be getting "old",... but never in spirit.

What would you have in a *club* newsletter?  Should people who are ill, or who have died, simply be ignored?  *That* would be disrespect, indeed.  The WBCCI publication, "The Blue Beret" has Airstream information in it, including some technical stuff, and the VAC one has lots of great technical information (as well as some social information).

A club newsletter should, as yours does, contain information about the members.  Ours also contains stuff going on at Top of GA, safety seminars, additions to the email-address list, reports of the Board activities/meetings, and other stuff.  And, yes, some social stuff when that is timely.

Keep working on your unit; they'll come around, but only slowly.

- Dick
(5368)