[VAC] Re: 69 lockset, deadbolt

>I own a 1969 27' International.  It has the original Airstream lockset
>in the door,  which has a handle with "Airstream" cast into it on the
>outside, and a small flat handle on the inside.

For those who may still have the 69 lock in working order There is an older
Ford ignition key (single sided) blank that will work if the back side is
filed slightly.  A locksmith in Lexington Ky made me a couple keys this
way.  If there is a need i will see I can locate one of these and get a
blank number

>Plan B :
>Many people advised me to put in a deadbolt.  This is also attractive to
>me, except it requires a fairly big hole that must be precisely aligned
>and it would be difficult to set it up so that the interior knob was
>accessible through the screen door.  If I go this route Home Depot has a
>commercial deadbolt in brushed Stainless steel for about $12.

By placing the deadbolt on the body you can eliminate the screen door hassle
The deadbolt is a good idea.  The bolt in the original lock is some kind of
pot metal. I had one break in rural wyoming and could not get in the
trailer.  Fortunately I was much younger and thinner then and finally
managed to get in through the side compartment by pushing the double bed
out of the way. The deadbolt is good insurance against the door opening in
transit and slamming back against the body.  Replacement keys are easily
obtained.  Something that can not be said of Airstream locks

I have also had the inside handle break but was able to find a similiar
replacement

Good luck

Rick Davis 1602
54 Safari