[VAC] Re: Ammeter

> Is there any indication on the meter face of its scale. Down in the
> lower corners something like "fs = 50 mv"?

No. It's supposed to read plus or minus 50 amps, but that's the only thing
on the face. I'll work up a known load ....a very small one at first
(milliamps)... and see what I can get the meter to do.

>Otherwise simply hook the ammeter leads to a couple
> places along the wire leaving the charger

I suppose that will only work if there is a resistance in the main wire.

>. A standard shunt could be found and used,

I've never be able to locate the shunt in my Chyslers. I don't know what I'm
looking for.

> Shunt type ammeters are more fragile than the full current ammeters and
> so are the wires to them and that's probably why the Chrysler meters
> quit working.

That's what I assumed. Fortunately, the rest of the car was not built as
poorly!

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA
#15767