[VAC] Ammeter

My 1971 Globe Trotter originally came with a Univolt IV model 35 according
to the info the previous owner recorded in my owner's manual. This unit must
have died in the early 1980's and was replaced by a B-W model 3230UL which
is still working fine (I have no electrical problems at all). My question is
about the ammeter. The Univolt apparently had an "ammeter shunt" which sent
an indication up to the ammeter on the control panel on the front wall of
the trailer. This is a small (maybe 14 gauge) wire so I know that this
ammeter was not reading the full amperage the Univolt was producing. I
assume that the Univolt had some kind of a shunt in the line that sent a
small fraction of the amperage up to the ammeter to give the reading. The
B-W power converter has no such shunt, apparently, and this ammeter was not
hooked up to the new power converter. Does anyone know of a way to make this
system work again?  I don't know what kind of a shunt they used in the
Univolt system.

Interestingly, I have two early 1970's Chysler automobiles that use a shunt
type ammeter. Neither of them works any more! (I don't know why).
MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter