[VAC] Re: Radiant flooring

Vintage Listees,

We used propylene (spelling?) glycol in heating and air conditioning systems
because it was not toxic and you didn't have to call the EPA if you had a
spill. You could just mop it up.  With huge systems that run throughout
buildings which contain offices, labs and production areas there are
millions of gallons running through pipes
throughout the world.  And then homes besides!

When I worked in HVAC for a major health good manufacturer (the area of the
buildings were spread over 30 acres and we had 120+/- floors), we used a
company that specialized in glycols.  We'd just tell the chemist what we
needed it for and he'd go through a series of questions about what kind of
materials we'd find within the piping network, temperatures we wanted to
maintain, and the size of the system, so we'd dilute it just right.  Each
year prior to winter, we'd check the level of protection and then add
whatever was necessary to bring the system into spec.

I don't profess to be a chemist, but there are differences with glycols
though, and you should probably use the right stuff.

In cars the most commonly used type was ethylene glycol.  This stuff has all
kinds of additives in it because not only can't it freeze, but it has to
cool as well, but the biggest thing is that it has to maintain the metals it
comes in contact with.  Corrosion plays a huge part in cooling/heating.
And, don't ever think that you can use it straight without diluting it
either; generally it should be diluted 50% to get maximum protection, but
remember that when you do dilute it less, it becomes less effective for
freeze protection, but transfers heat better.

You also lose some heat transfer when you replace water with a glycol; you
lose a little more when you use propylene than ethylene.

The ethylene glycol in a car has ALL the protection you'd need for a trailer
or home, but there is new "pink" stuff on the market for cars that you don't
have to mess with for 100,000 miles; without knowing what it is, you could
be cautious, but it seems to me that if its good enough to be within a car
for 100,000 miles its got to be pretty good in a small trailer or home.

IMO
Rich Walbridge
mailto:richwalbridge@airstream.net
mailto:wbcci@gis.net