[VAC] Re: More frame off stuff

Trike,
I've seen sheet aluminum in thicknesses of 1/4 inch and thicker, and it
is quite strong.  It can be cut easily with a circular saw, with a
special blade, and the sizes of the sheet ordered, are quite large.  The
sheet aluminum may transfer some road noise and vibration, more so than
wood which would absorb noise and vibration..  But,..... condensation,
and leaks, and moisture in general will not affect the aluminum, and you
will never have rot.
Again, it may be too expensive.   I think RJ, can best explain the use
of aluminum honeycomb, because he has used it and worked with it.  There
is another , more exotic material available, but the cost may be like
going to the "Moon".   Our NASA engineer Garnett Horner has used it on
his Shower stall floor and it works very well.  That material is carbon
fiber cloth and resin.  When finished, it is very strong, and lighter
than aluminum.  It is probably the best substitute I have seen.  Of
course, it is in the league with supersonic aircraft, and stealth
fighters, but thats OK, if you can afford it.

Bill Scott
Charter Member and Membership Chairman
Washington DC Unit,  WBCCI   #3221
Our Homepage;  http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/