[VAC] Dent Removal

Here's some information from Paul Farley with a couple of before and
after shots of a basketball sized dent he removed.  Paul did a great job
as
you can see.  Paul is a dent-master, as he passed along the technique
of removing small dents (hail, etc) with dry ice.  I tried it in
October, and
I'll be danged if it didn't work on the couple I tried (only had a
cupful of
dry ice). I plan to do the rest of trailer this spring after it warms
up, and
will report on the technique on my website then (vintageairstream.com).
Thanks again Paul...
RJ
'65 Caravel

Paul Farley wrote:
Dents can be removed especially if they don't have a big crease, looking
like an inverted dome or a "bowl".
If the belly band trim (that 2" piece of metal is also dented, you will need
to loosen it up to do the next step).
Go to an auto parts store and buy a Bondo brand suction cup.  It should
be about $5.  This is a one piece molded rubber cup that sticks well to
the aluminum.  You may have to try it in a couple of locations to "pop"
the dent.  I've found they pop best when the aluminum has warmed up a
bit.  Don't be scared to really pull as the skin will retain it's
shape.
If the skin will not stay once you pulled it you may have to
stuff something permanently between the inner and outer skin to keep pressure
pushing out on the outer skin, this will require loosening the belly ban
as well as the pan or banana wrap for access.  It sounds involved but
it's really not too bad.  You will have to drill out some rivets and
replace them when you finish the dent pull.
If the belly band trim is bent you will have to bend it over something round
to get it back to it's original shape,  then reinstall.
I have enclosed a couple of photos to show you a before and after on my
trailer.
Good Luck, Paul