[VAC] Re: tow vehical

Daisy,
 One thing you can check is the action of the transmission when it's cold.
Not necessarily real cold weather, but when you first start the engine.
Crank it up, let it get oil pressure, then shift to Drive and head down the
road. Use light throttle pressure and allow the transmission to shift up
normally. By rights, the tach should never exceed 2000 RPM and it should go
into 4th at about 40 MPH. The converter will lock up at 50 MPH, but only
after the oil exceeds 60 degrees.

I don't know if the seller of my truck knew of the problem with the tranny,
but I was unable to check it, as he nicely had had it running prior to my
arrival.

FWIW: it's "Cummins", not "Cummings". When I took mine to the local Cummins
garage for a valve setting, they told me, "That truck will rot away and fall
to the ground, but the engine will still be going strong. It's easily good
for 300,000 miles".

                                                            <<Jim>>