Re: [VAC] A little more help, please

Polly,
Several lift out doors I've seen have been retrofitted with STAINLESS
piano hinge (stainless screws or bolts, too).  Some have been hinged at
the top and others at the bottom, depending on the needs and whims of
the owners.
I am going to make sure all my restorations get a hinge there.  You are
not the first to mention that door falling off - one with license plate
attached!  The hinge can be attached on the edge of the door and frame
so it doesn't stand out.  If you attach on the top, holding it open
while you forge around could be a problem - I am going to try my first
one on the bottom with either a chain or a desk lid type arm to hold it
when it drops down.