Re: [VAC] Olympic heater - feedback please

Hi Deena,

In your note, you wrote, "I've gone back and read all the postings I had saved about sizing heaters
to your vehicle and I'm sure the 6100 A is exactly right for us, but should I go up a size and save
money or spend the extra bucks for the 6100A?"

Tuna is correct, there are other considerations. For example, if condensation becomes an issue due
to an extended period of cold weather, then you may need to open various windows and vents more than
just a crack. If your heater can't keep up with the cold air coming in, then you have no choice but
to deal with condensation or be cold.

On the other hand, if your heater has more capacity than you typically need, then you have a choice.
Recommendation: Choose choice.

Having said that; in our '86 32' Airstream, we use a 10,000 BTU ceramic heater and a small muffin
fan in one corner of the trailer which softly moves the heated air around. It's not a sophisticated
solution and most people don't even notice the fan running. We've been quite comfortable with
temperatures below freezing and above 20 degrees farenheit. If the forecast was below 20 degree
temperatures for more than 24 hours, I'd either winterize in a hurry or pack up and head south
non-stop.

Seeing as you already have a quote from RV Solar Electric, call on their toll free number and
discuss this with them. Be ready to tell them the size of your trailer, the coldest temperatures you
expect to experience and for how long.

While you are at it, ask Noel Kirkby (RV Solar Electric) for the instructions on how to install the
olympic heater "on a hinge." Then, you'll have the choice of swinging it around and directing the
heat to another part of your Airstream. The hinge modification is not an official recommendation,
but is routinely done.

If you plan to attend the Escapade in Goshen, Indiana next month, you could have it installed
immediately (an hour or two at the maximum). As with any big rally or convention, there are other
considerations for attending. The purchase and free installation of equipment is often one of them.

This winter, we're again expecting to stay in cold areas while visiting relatives. We're using our
'77 31' Excella 500 with thermalpane windows, carpeting with an insulating type cushion under it and
extra insulation throughout the belly pan area.

Terry