Re: [VAC] travel with propane on

On a recent test drive of our project '72 Tradewind, we tried a different
approach to keeping the fridge going...we ran it off of the new solar
panels and inverter. The old Dometic is something of a power hog at 15
amp/hours, and running the fridge with 120 ac through the inverter probably
isn't the most efficient setup possible. But with the input from the panels
(sunny days both ways out to Oregon and back) we were averaging a net use
of about 8 amps each hour. We left home with about 200 amp hours of storage
in the batteries; we still had 140 amps when we arrived at the campground
after 6-plus hours of travel time. The beer was cold and the ice was ice.
We had similar results on the way home. Something to consider if you were
going to install solar anyway. Save the propane and the headaches of the
flame blowing out while driving.

Gary