[VAC] Re: Gier's Airstream

Yvonne,  you should be excited, and I hope you will share this with the
discussion group, as I have above.  Yes, you got lucky.  I know of just
a handful of these Cruisettes still in existance.  They were only made
in 1951 and 1952.  The Cruisette was the smallest Airstream ever made,
and today quite rare.  It is only 15 feet in length, dry weight of 1420
lbs.  It sold new, retail, for $1495 in 1952.  It had an 8000 series
number, so yours # 8057 seems to be correct.  I don't know how many were
built, but very few still exist today.  I think there are possibly 5,
registered in the VAC, but that is not firm. I have only seen a picture
of one in an early "Vintage Advantage" newletter, and its serial number
was #8040.  The actual measurement  from the front of the A-frame to the
back of the bumper, was 14 feet, 8 inches, and designated as a 15 ft
model, from 1755 North Main St, Los Angeles, California. It has 13
segments, front and rear, a front hinged door, (non-suiide) curbside,
referred to as a Door in a door, or a double door, and a very small,
perhaps, 8 inch tip out window towards the curbside rear.   It has two
roof vents, and the street side should have one tip out window.  There
was no toilet, and it had a 50 lb, Ice Box.  At  1420 lbs dry, it was
the smallest, and almost the lightest of all Airstream trailercoaches
ever made.
Congratulations on your find, and I hope you restore that beauty, so you
can enjoy it for another 50 years..     Let all of us know about your
plans for restoration ,  and Welcome to the Vintage Airstream Club's
discussion List.

Bill Scott
Concours d'Elegance Steward 2000
Vintage Airstream Club