Re: [VAC] SUV's for towing

My '98 Ford F-150 has a factory step bumper rated at 5000 pound towing
load, 500 pounds tongue load, but in the manual its specific that its
not strong enough for an equalizing hitch. It would have been easy to
have bolted a square tube receiver to the bottom of the bumper. Its easy
enough to add a hitch that bolts to the frame (without drilling any
holes) that can handle up to 10,000 pounds trailer and 1000 pounds
tongue weight with an equalizing hitch. That may be the hang up with the
Toyota. Look for a hitch from Reese Hitch made to fit and see what its
ratings are. (Or Putnam or Valley, etc).
http://www.reesehitch.com/truck_toyota_hitch.html is one place to look.
The frame mounted hitch made for weight distribution will not break the
truck.

The twist of the equalizing hitch could easily twist the bumper not made
to handle it. All vehicles made these days have some attention applied
to using less metal to get better gas mileage (and to save on
manufacturing cost).

Chris's comment on automatic leveling suspensions could be significant.
But I think the load equalizing (or weight distributing) hitch has a
need over the self leveling suspension. The automatic suspension can
level the vehicle but it won't correct for the loss of weight on the
front wheels. That weight is important for steering and stopping.

At my local Ford dealer a couple mechanics know more about hitches and
factory supplied trailer wiring than a shelf full of shop manuals, the
whole parts department, the service advisors (who know to call on those
mechanics when pressed for answers long enough) and the entire sales
staff put together.

Gerald J.