Re: [VAC] hello... (long)

Hi Chas.  I have three kids, now off to college and beyond.  When they were
younger, we traveled around the country during summers (I was a teacher at
the time) for about 5 years.  Best thing we ever did.  We didn't have a
trailer at that time...mostly camping, and Motel 6 on the later trips.  Saw
every continental state, most of the parks...had a real ball.  Some kids
wouldn't relate to such voyages, but mine did.  Go for it!

Later, we got the trailer...1966 Airstream Safari, 22 foot.  We've been on a
few long trips with all the "older" kids with it.  It's a bit cramped with
basically 5 adults...one had to sleep on the floor.  But it'd be adequate for
2 adults and 3 younger kids.  Ours is the "party model," where the mid-sofa
turns into a double bed, and the dining area on the end converts to two
medium wide beds.  No full-time bed, giving more room during the non-sleeping
hours.  We got ours in great condition for about $4000 a number of years ago,
and have done all our own work on it...customization, maintenance, etc.  You
can get better deals, especially if they need some fixing up. I'm sure with
your handiness you'll have no trouble with that aspect...and better to do it
yourself than trust the work to unknown service people who may be top flite
or may be careless or care-less.  I'd guess 22 foot would be about a minimum
for you folks...but in my opinion, smaller is better than enormous.  Easier
to tow, much easier to manipulate, and can go places no bigger rig could (got
a great photo of the A/S perched in a tight spot in Craters of the Moon park
in Idaho).

Now the most important aspect...tow vehicle.  Our trailer weighs about 3400
lbs dry, so figure 4000 or more loaded.  We tow with a 1977 Suburban, dry
weight 6000 lbs. with a 454 engine.  I've been comfortable with this
arrangement, and feel that the car controls the trailer, not vice-versa...but
even with a big tow vehicle, there are times...high wind, beating rain,
up/down steep grades, crappy roads...when it's white knuckle time.  We've
seen a number of trailer accidents too, where it appeared the tow vehicle was
undersized, and the trailer pushed the vehicle around.  My STRONG
ADVICE...BIGGER IS BETTER.  Don't think about gas mileage...if you're that
concerned, get a diesel.  Get something BIG...a lot of weight and great
brakes.  Make sure your trailer brakes are in top shape, and learn how to use
them (plenty of info on the web, ask questions here, practice on short hauls
etc.)  DON'T spare $$ on a hitch.  Get the best hitch you can find, and make
sure it is the weight distributing kind...and learn carefully how to adjust
it.  Sway controls might be good...never tried them, but I haven't felt the
need for them.  Our little A/S tracks just fine, and resists the bow-waves of
the big trucks great...but I also attribute some of that to the weight and
long wheel base of the Suburban.

So, have fun.  My 2 cents is that bigger is better in the tow vehicle, and
smaller is better in the trailer (if you're not too cramped).  I'm sure there
are those who will say that big trailers are no problem...but if you want to
be able to go the most places, smaller is definitely an advantage.

Regards,
John
jixix@aol.com