Re: [VAC] Black tank removal

Now then Nick,
    Don't let your frustrations influence an experience that you'll look
back on and laugh about, as well as bragging rights when with other Vintage
owners over whose black water tank was the hardest to remove.
    I am waiting for the "Pan" to be fabricated , this should take another
day or so. Let me tell you what I did to remove mine. The pan was mostly
rotted away at the rear and had been patched with some heavy gauge Al sheet.
The front support (1" angle Iron) had rotted away. After removing the rear
support and shaking the tank around, I deduced that it was held up by :
The toilet flange(Had to cut the steel rim to get it out) since learned that
it screws into/out of the tank. The tank vent, held by a hose clamp. The
valve flange and Vent piping, this was so hard to decipher that I just cut
the vent line and will use a rubber sanitary boot(Go to any plumbing supply
or Home Center) when it goes back in.
    Upon closer inspection, found that the Thetford valve/flange assy. is
only held together by two screws, and there is an internal O ring seal that
does the actual work. The Valve is held onto the tank with another  hose
clamp.
The hose coming from "upstairs" in my unit is a take-off heating duct
cleverly concealed in the heating duct under the tub. This lets you camp in
the cold without  freezing the contents of your tank.
    The foam insulation I found was 1" Polystyrene and fit in the bottom and
around the perimeter of the pan. It was not glued or anything and just came
out after I dropped the pan. I found no screws or anything else holding the
pan to the floor above, however I am tempted to secure the pan with a few SS
screws just because (belt AND suspenders, don'tcha know).
    Cheer up, I only have been working on mine for about 2 weeks, am
supposed to be leaving for a Month in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia July 5
or 6th and still haven't put any of the bathroom back together yet. But I
will, thank the powers that be for  Pneumatic rivet guns!!!
                                                                        Chin
Up! Persevere!
                                                                        Walt
S. W. Sandy