[VAC] Working w/Vulkem

A little while ago there was some discussion here about how to smooth out
Vulkem caulk and how to clean it up. FWIW, I've begun working with it
some and have the following observations.

1) The instructions on the cartridges suggest "tool dry or with soapy
water...." No matter how I try it, "dry" is a mess. Soapy water, on the
other hand, does work pretty--well for smoothing: it does nothing for
cleaning up the edges.

2) Paint thinner, Oil-Flow 141, and WD-40 will all smooth the bead *plus*
they can help remove excess material and clean up the edges. I've been
opting for WD-40 because it seems a little easier to use than the paint
thinner and is a *lot* cheaper than the Oil-Flo. None of these, used
judiciously, seem to affect the bond between the Vulkem and the
aluminum--but that's obviously just a first impression, not the
scientific results of a long term test.

It (the Vulkem) is really not easy stuff to work with; I'd be happy to
hear from anyone who's found better methods.

Rob