Re: [VAC] Cabinet Oil Finish

Steve,
For water stained cabinets, I found the best way to restore them is as
follows.

Lightly sand with a medium steel wool to remove all debris, food stains,
loose stuff, etc., followed by a pigment stain (little "minwax" type
cans") applied with a cloth and then wiped off, repeating until the
colors are evened out.

Then apply 3 coats of the oil, wiping the excess off after 10 mins.  Use
300 grit or so wet sand paper after applying the oil.  Sanding this
'slurry" around will create a nice hard smooth finish that can be
renewed every few years with another application.  It will also take
water damage better than lacquer or varnish, and doesn't look the
"plastic finish" urethanes applied today.

I just finished our mahogany cabinets in the Caravel and they look
absolutely gorgeous (if I must say so myself)

RJ
Polishing away!! (now that's hard work...)
More on that later...