Re: [VAC] Batteries/ following discussions/ on same additional question

Terry and other Vintage Listees,

Yes the AGM batteries can be operated inside without ventilation.  They are
one of very few, (if any) that can be shipped UPS as well.

I have the size 27 batteries and I was quoted $165 (prepaid), shipped to the
Boston, MA area.  I was told by the installer of my solar system (AJL
Solar), that these would be the last batteries I would ever buy for my rig.
I think you'll find that there is a life of 4-6 thousand cycles in these
batteries vs. 3-4 hundred in the everyday deep cycle RV type battery.

I opted for these so I wouldn't have any failures along the way and I would
be able to put them under the dinette seat with the converter/inverter.  If
I did it all over again, I would have installed the converter/inverter in
the refer compartment behind the refer where there's plenty of ventilation.

I installed a small 3" diameter brown plastic vent grille in the bottom of
the seat as well as a gray plastic vent grille on the skin of the trailer
where seat compartment is.  It was getting warm in there after heavy duty
usage in the warm weather.  The built-in fan in the converter/inverter was
cycling and the warm air wasn't going anywhere....but now it has a place to
go.  I bought them out of the Radio Shack website....they weren't available
in the store.  $3 each.

Good luck.

Rich Walbridge
mailto:richwalbridge@airstream.net