[VAC] Belly pan removal

Many of you here have heard of my losing my rear compartment door on my last
trip.  I received a newly fabricated one from Inland, if you want to know more
it, email me.

Yesterday, I started the job of removing my black water tank.  I removed the
toilet first.  It was tough getting to the lugs, but in time, it came off.

The belly pans in the rear were all removed.  Actually, only two had to come
off. The panel under my rear compartment, and the pan under the entire tank,
and the next forward belly pan's rivets had to be removed so I could remove
the rest.

There were lots of old holes someone else drilled out, and forgot to fill with
rivets, and three different size rivets installed.  It was easy drilling them
out.

I didn't know what to expect once the belly pan was off, but what I found surprised
me.  There is an open top box, made of 1 inch angle iron, and what looks like
galvenized sheets, installed around the sewge tank.

The aft angle iron was rusted so bad it wasn't holding anything anymore, and
I think this is the problem.  The tank, and the entire bath floor would bounce
up and down, causing many problems.

The box is attached at four tabs welded to the frame.  I will remove this box,
and probably have to fabrisate a new one.

It was so hot today, I did nothing! <g>

I also saw that someone had also sprayed the underframing with foam insulation.
 I'm not so sure Ilike this because of the moisture it may hold between the
foam and wood floor, and you cam bet, the moisture WILL get inbetween!
Hopefully, the weather will cool off some, and I can continue.  If anyone wants
more details, I would be glad to answer any questions.

Why didn't anyone say anything about this box?

Nick
'68 Safari
WBCCI VAC