[VAC] heavy oxidatio like coarse grit sandpaper?

In well over a year of participation on the list, I realized I don't
actually know what heavy oxidation is like on aluminum.

I was doing some touch up paint stripping as I removed interior panels this
weekend and came across a few spots that were significantly rougher than any
of the rest of the skin.

Basically the 'heavily oxidized' part felt like 120-grit sandpaper compared
to the usual semi-gloss satin feel of the rest of the aluminum.  It
definitely looks like aluminum rust.

So can I safely conclude that where the skin isn't so "obviously rusty" it
is only mildly oxidized?

    Jay L. Griffin [a.k.a. Jrnymn "Journeyman"]
    http://homepage.dave-world.net/~jrnymn/jrnyindex.htm
    http://homepage.davesworld.net/~jrnymn/jrnywebarchive.htm
  /          [ ]    )   Ayrstream Overlander '56 26'