Re: [VAC] Emergency Use Cell Phone

Once in Colorado on the interstate, I came upon a couple in a fifth-wheel
that had just blown a tire on the 5'er. He needed help bad, and had no way
to contact his road service company.

I had an unregistered cellular bag phone in my Airstream, and we dialed up
the local 911 emergency number, which is SUPPOSED to be available even on
an unregistered (no-contract) phone. They answered, and when he told them
the situation they dialed his 1-800 road service number and relayed all the
details for him.

He had a BIG smile on his face when I left. He had no idea that a cell
phone could be bought from a flea market for a few bucks and kept in the
truck like that at no cost and then work for emergencies.

This might have been the only 911 operator in the entire USA that would be
that cooperative - I don't know.

Lastly, most people selling cell phones at flea markets also don't know of
the 911 thing. If I were buying one I would take it to my car, plug it in
and dial 911 to verify it worked before paying for it, but I would not let
the seller see me do this (the price might go up).

Jerry W4UK

PS - I now also have a conventional registered cell phone, and I am paying
every month on my cell phone bill for 911 service for guys who don't have
contracts. So if anybody thinks you are freeloading by doing this, just
tell them I invited you to use it at my expense ;)