Re: [VAC] Vinyl Flooring over oil spill

Also, a few months ago I asked a question about putting vinyl flooring over
a vegetable oil spill.

Some of the suggestions I received were:
oil paint
Fabulon floor finish
cover entire floor with 1/4" luan
route out damaged area, and repair with luan

I started with the easy stuff -- some old oil base paint I had sitting
around.  It seemed to react to the glue (self-stick tile), and made a gooey
mess.  I may not have let it dry long enough, so someone else may have
better experience.

I looked around several hardware and furniture stores, and couldn't find the
Fabulon.  I talked to my Dad, and he had some left over paint -- Kilz Ultra,
sealer-primer-stain blocker.  It dries to the touch in 30 minutes, and can
be recoated in an hour.  This did the trick, as the tiles have been stuck
down for a month or so and haven't moved much.

Something I learned -- if the tiles have room to move, they will.  I'm sure
they wouldn't move as much if you let them dry thoroughly, but since we are
living in our Airstream, that really wasn't an option.  So, I need to redo
my first few tiles, as I left gaps between the tile and the wall in places
where it couldn't be seen.  It looks fine, but the tiles are sliding over to
the wall.

Matt