Re: [VAC] Short in Right Turn Signal Line ('67 Caravel)

Dave,
 I removed my trailer cable from inside the 'A' frame and routed it
outside and under the trailer (in conduit from the front of the trailer
body to the place where it enters the bellypan and splices into the
wiring). Main reason I did that was because water follows the cable into
the 'A' frame and causes unseen rusting that is FAR worse than cosmetic.
It was bad enough to cause me to replace my 'A' frame altogether.

If you reroute your cable, I'll bet you'll fix your problem. Dunno where
you welded exactly, but that could have caused your problem.

Also: None of the power requirements for my trailer goes through any of
the truck wiring past the MAIN fuse under the hood. I have a large relay
that feeds [fused] power to the trailer and to my brake controller.
Another fuse feeds an isolator box that in turn powers the trailer
lights. I didn't need to change flashers, and there is no current drawn
from the light switch, etc. In fact, I got a recall notice from Dodge
that warns of possible trouble from trailer lighting loads.

I'll admit that I should maybe use auto-reset circuit breakers rather
than fuses, but I'd otherwise highly recommend my method of wiring.

                                          Jim