[VAC] another toilet question

OK, so I have my mind in the gutter these days. :-)

While looking around in the sanitation department of Camping World, I
noticed a variety of gizmos to stick down the toilet to rinse the walls of
the blackwater tank after dumping it.  My question is - is this necessary
every time you dump the tank?  Or only at the end of a trip?  When I was a
kid, we always used a travel trailer for family vacations, and I don't
remember ever seeing my mother do this.  However, it's entirely possible
that I was just not paying attention. :-)

Cynthia