[VAC] Expanding foam sealant

Original question:
>Are there any problems with using expanding foam sealant (moisture cure polyurethane foam, such as Great Stuff) against unprotected aluminum? I've got the belly pan off, and will be replacing all but the outside 8"-12" of the pan with new sheets of aluminum, painted white both sides. Before I attach the new white to the old (still attached) original perimeter of the pan, I'd like to shoot this foam into the crack between the ply floor/steel frame and the aluminum skin. Any problems?

Reply:

Answering my own question, with about 90% confidence:

I got through to a technical support person at Flexible Products (mfr.. of Great Stuff Foam), who advised that there would be "no problem" using this product with raw aluminum. I expressed my concern re: off-gassing of undesirables like ammonia, and he said that this product is already "99% cured" as it comes out of the dispensing tube, and although there are trace amounts of ammonia and MANY other gases given off in final curing, they are insignificant. He had personal experience using this foam for components made for buses in which aluminum parts were combined with expanding polyurethane moisture cure foam with no problems ... ever. In his experience. He did make it very clear that once stuck to the aluminum, there is no way of removing the cured foam, other than cutting and sanding.
I think getting this stuff on the outer edges of the ply floor will be a great deterrent to future water rotting problems. It's the edges of plywood which really "wick up" the moisture, more so than the face.

So barring any last minute dire warnings from fellow VAC members, I'm planning to seal up some cracks between subfloor and skin later this week with expanding polyurethane foam. From above and below. I do think I'll use the minimal expanding variety for fear of causing any bulges in skin along floor line. All advice appreciated.

Bob Harper
'62 Globetrotter in SC