Re: [VAC] towing in overdrive

My 2000 Ford Expedition with a 5.4 L engine, 3.73 rear axle and two package
has a "Tow/Haul" feature.  The Ford people have told me that is a feature (a
computer chip) that senses the strain on the vehicle while towing/hauling and
adjusts the transmission shift points.

My owner's manual states it is OK to tow a trailer in OD but to shift down
when climbing/descending particularly steep roads.

The 2000 Chevvys and GMC Suburbans also have the "Tow/Haul" feature.

The fellow I bought my 27' Airstream from had a 1994 Chevvy 2500 Suburban
with a 454 engine and always towed in 3rd gear.  Although the odometer has
only 60+k miles on it I think his engine and drivetrain has a few more with
that procedure.

Ed