RE: [VAC] Solar panel placement

Gary,
There is certainly something holding up that outer skin and the inner one
too, and keeping them apart, but I would not call it rafters. There is a
continuous metal frame which forms the body and roof, and you can find it by
looking at the rivet pattern on the roof and the sides.  When I get up on
the roof I try to stay right on top of the frame, because the skin will
oil-can.  Check your inside rivets when you are done, no doubt all that work
will cause some already old, weak rivets to fail. You can use screws to
secure your solar frame, and I always fill the pre-drilled holes with
Vulkem, plus a little on top of the holes, and maybe a bead around the
perimeter of the pad, for a great seal. Don't ever use silicone on the
aluminum, apparently it is a bugger to remove and causes polishing problems.
Good luck on your installation, we will be doing the same one soon!

Mike & Leslie       PS: Where in Montana?  Leslie is a Missoula girl. =^}
'62 Trade Wind
Ghetto on Wheels