Re: [VAC] old camper smell

Title: Re: [VAC] old camper smell
Hi Scott and Krissy - If I were you, I'd expand the list of options before deciding. I'd save removing the belly pan or removing the holding tank as a last option -- and then only consider it under great duress. I'd do all the simpler things first.

Going back to what you said, "the tank registers as half full, but it only drips when I drain it." Unless you can see liquid in the bottom of the tank when the flush valve is open, the tank is probably empty,  regardless of what the tank registers.

There are probes inside the tank and I wouldn't be surprised if the area around them was caked, damp and causing the misreading (plus perhaps the smell).

Use a power spray inside the tank by running a hose with that special high pressure nozzle into your Airstream and into the tank. Use a "shut off in line adapter" near the access point so you can turn off the water pressure and look inside now and then to see what effect your efforts are having. With maximum water pressure on, rotate the hose numerous times and try to be systematic about how you direct the flow.

That may dislodge the material. If not, there are dozens of other techniques all of us have tried one time or another. Send another posting if more ideas are needed. Our most recent technique to clean the probes so the tanks would register accurately: I bought 10 bags of ice cubes, poured them into the black tank, added water to half full (flash light shining into open flush valve) and then towed the trailer for an hour over a winding country road. Did it work? Yes, but for how long? I don't know.

There are other possible reasons for the smell.  Do all the hard jobs first. It always galls me when I don't follow my own advice and end up realizing I just wasted a lot of effort on a difficult job that wasn't necessary.

Terry