RE: [VAC] Towing with a Ford manual transmission

I am considering similar rear end ratio and tire size changes to improve my
towing ability.  I found a convenient and easy to use RPM calculator at
www.ring-pinion.com <http://www.ring-pinion.com> .  It is necessary to see
if your engine RPM is in the best power range, without going out of sight on
the high RPM end or not getting to your best power range on the low RPM end.
The RPM calculator does that.  Incidentally, I have decided on the 4:10 with
standard tires, but haven't done it yet.  I have a 302 V-8 with the 3:08
rear end and automatic OD transmission. What engine do you have?  It is
important to get your final drive ratio so that the engine RPM is in the
best power range for the highway speed you want to travel.  Remember, it is
possible to get a final drive ratio at which you could pull anything...but
not be able to go over 35 MPH at maximum RPM!  Let us know what you decide
on.  What I would really like to see is a two speed rear axle.  Does anyone
know of one for pickups, vans or cars?
Donald R.