Re: [VAC] Looking at an Airstream

Greetings Walt!

Investigating a new Airstream can be an exciting process.  In addition to
the structural issues of frame, floor, and absence of water leaks; I would
suggest carefully examining some of the areas where
repair/replacement/restoration costs can mount quickly such as:

1.  Confirm that the refrigerator/freezer actually works when set to each
of its fuels.  A new professionally installed refrigerator can approach and
even exceed $1,000.00 while a rebuilt cooling unit can approach half or
more of the cost of a new unit.

2.  Be aware that repair parts for the Armstrong Bay Breeze Air Conditioner
are virtually unavailable in much of the country.  The compressor in my
unit burned out, and the only solution that I could find in my area was to
replace the entire unit with a new Coleman at $600.00+.

3.  Check the water heater for evidence of leaks (stains on the floor and
hard water deposits on any of the connections).  If the trailer hasn't been
winterized, I would suggest asking that the owner demonstrate that the
heater is operational.  Check an RV supply catalog to get an idea of the
price of a new water heater.

4.  Confirm that a univolt and battery are present and that the electric
system is functional on both 12-volts and regular shore current.  A
replacement for the univolt isn't particularly expensive, but if the
univolt has been unceremoniously removed - - straightening out the wiring
could be a problem (read expensive if you need to hire a professional).
When I purchased my Airstream, I made the assumption that replacing the
missing Univolt wouldn't be a problem - - I gave up after spending 50 hours
trying to make sense of the wires remaining and took it in for professional
repairs.  In the county where the repair shop was located they were bound
by law to upgrade all electrict systems to current code so the job was
quite pricey - - but very satisfactory.

5.  If the furnace is important to your plans, you will also want to
carefully check its age and operation.  If the furnace is the original 1970
unit, you will almost certainly be facing a replacement in the not too
distant future as most of the heat exchangers were not designed to last
more than 15 to 20 years.

6.  If the rig has an awning, be sure to insist that the owner demonstrate
its operation.  Through this demonstration, you will be able to learn the
condition of the fabric as well as the mechanism.  For the most part,
repair parts are available (other than the support arms if it is an A&E
Awning) - - but can become quite an expense.

7.  The electric brakes should also be checked out.  Repair parts are
readily available, but be prepared for the expense if they need rebuilding.
 Fully loaded backing plates (include all of the brake parts installed on
new/remanufactured backing plates) run $50 - $75 each in my area for the
parts alone.

8. There are some things that are very easy to overlook in the process that
while taken individually aren't very expensive correct- - in combination
they can become quite an expense.  Among these items are the demand water
pump, the propane tanks (OPD valves will be required in the not too distant
future when refilling at propane stations), operation of the tongue jack,
fresh water tank (mine cracked along the mold marks and leaked when 1/2
full or more), holding tanks/valves that leak or are damaged, tires that
will need to be replaced in the not too distant future, operation of the
entrance step, operation of exterior running and clearance lights.  If the
rig that you are looking at has the vista-vue windows (small windows in the
roofline area), they may be clouded as a result of the seperation of the
insulating glass - - correcting the problem (which is usually more of a
cosmetic/appearance issue) can be time consuming and expensive if new
replacement windows are purchased.

Good luck with your investigation!!