Re: Streamline Travel Home

[ Follow Ups ] [ Streamline Message Board ]

Posted by Tom Patterson on March 13, 2001 at 17:21:47:

In Reply to: Re: Streamline Travel Home posted by Al Cottler on March 13, 2001 at 16:43:20:

Al,

I'm going to check the parking brake out further. I have been going on the assumption that it worked on the driveshaft as truck parking brakes do, but maybe it didn't. I will have a look tomorrow.

Re tires... I guess that you haven't looked at the Travel Home brochure on this site at http://208.109.117.138/Streamline/Brochures/1965TH/1965TH.html , or the original price list either at http://208.109.117.138/Streamline/Brochures/1965TH/Price.html . From these you can see that yes, the original spare that you have is indeed an original. I would have liked a higher load range rated tire than what I put on the unit, but all I could get in Yuma, Az. at the time was load range "D". They are adequate, but I would have liked a little more "insurance". As you can see from the brochure, the original dry weight was 9,500 lbs. I'm sure that mine has gone up a bit higher with the various add-ons, but it is still pretty light.

At this point, I am trying to get the Travel Home mechanically fit. So far, I have done the brake work that I mentioned, and am having the motor rebuilt. I also had to have the steering dampener and power steering pump rebuilt to fix leaks. And, one of the gas tanks had to be dropped and cleaned to get rid of an unidentified residue in the tank. The radiator also had to be recored. The parking brake remains, as do the windows, so as to preclude any leaks, and I will have to do something about the wheels.

Inside, I have the seats and sofa/beds out being reupholstered, and all of the curtains being redone. Years of sitting in the Arizona sun did them all in, and they suffer from dry rot. The rug will also have to be replaced if for no other reason than to do away with the existing color.

Going into this deal I knew that I was looking at a lot more than the original purchase price, and it has turned out as I expected. I should end up with a classic motorhome when I am finished that is good for years however.

Follow Ups:

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.