Re: Streamline flooring rot

[ Follow Ups ] [ Streamline Message Board ]

Posted by Tom Patterson on October 8, 2000 at 06:43:39:

In Reply to: Re: Streamline flooring rot posted by james on October 7, 2000 at 07:40:04:

There was a recent posting to the Airstream List by Terry Tyler that dealt with this topic, and which I thought might be of interest. It is as follows:

Hi Jerry,

In your note, you wrote:

>The question for the list. Need advise on resealing the heater vent and the best way to replace
>the 18" by 30" terribly rotted plywood with another piece cut to fit. My wife wants to know if we
>are having fun yet!!!!! Thanks in advance ..God Bless!

Jerry, it's been some time since your note, but perhaps you're still working on a solution.

It sounds like you may have settled on cutting a piece of wood to fit what you remove. There are other choices. If you haven't already done so, my suggestion is that you at least consider other methods or combinations of them. The amount of labor and time involved can vary dramatically. Also, if you do the labor outdoors, that's one thing. If you do the labor in a garage or barn at your leisure, that's a whole different ball game.

My strictly novice skills as repairer of my own sail boat damaged by rocks in water too shallow for racing has led me to use products sold in marinas. There are several. Some are more expensive than others and some have web sites for browsing. There are a few similarities between sail boats and land yachts.

There is one product for rotted wood that has been used by me to reconstruct the floor in two Airstreams. It is called "Git Rot." The main reason I selected it is because I like being able to start and finish the job within the same day, I prefer to use simple tools, I like working at a leisurely pace, I want the Airstream floor stronger than it was the day it came out of the factory and I don't want the floor to ever rot again even if another leak occurs in the same location and goes unnoticed for years. How's that for a "want list?"

This option may or may not be anything you'd like to consider, but it can certainly give you a different perspective. The website is http://www.boatlife.com/

1 - Find the search page and write in GIT ROT
2 - Click on one of the Git Rot items in red
3 - Click on "How to use Git Rot"
4 - Print out the directions.

In your area, search local marinas for which marina has the product in stock AND which marina has an employee who actually has used GIT ROT and will talk to you about it. Pick his brain for subtleties of technique (even though you have read and memorized the directions). Buy several small quantities so you only open and mix up a little at one time. Once it's mixed, you MUST work quickly.

In your area, search the yellow pages for a millwork shop, go in with an ordinary paper grocery bag and ask for "clean sawdust from real wood," not particle board and the like. An average grocery bag of it will be more than sufficient.

When all is said and done, gather up all the tools, reread the directions, watch the weather channel and when your day comes, be ready for an uninterrupted several hours when you can do the deed.

"Git Rot" does exactly as stated, plus it can be sanded smooth. The rotted area will become the strongest part of the floor in the entire trailer and BEST OF ALL - it's simple to use and doesn't require any more skill than possessed by an average pre-teenager.

You might discount using this product because of price, but not because of convenience, simplicity, time involved and long term durability.

Terry

Follow Ups:

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.