The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Re: electrical system

Eddie wrote:
> I power mine with a very small 12 volt Gel Cell battery placed in the
> compartment behind the fridge and accessable thru the outside locking
> vent. I keep it charged with a 400 milliamp little black plastic charger
> like used on a kids game or similar device to avoid over voltage risk to
> the voltage sensitive electronic controller. The charger is plugged in
> to the outlet that is already there for the fridge. I did not run an
> extra 12 volt power wire from the coach, and even though it is already
> there, I do not use that 12 volt power for the fridge. The house power
> sometimes exceeds the maximum voltage of 15 VDC on my digital meter,
> varying with how charged the battery becomes with what is turned on or
> off in the coach. I don't have a new fancy house converter and don't
> know if the new converters really do keep the voltage under 15 vdc as
> they claim when the batteries get fully charged. -Eddie-

Now I like this advice for 12 volt to the new fridges which require it.
I don't have one of those new fridges. I got a cheap apartment plug in.
Noisy.

On house DC. I don't use a 'converter' at all. The buzz box that came in
my SS is unplugged, used only for a buss and fuse box.

I charge my battery with a little solid state 6 amp charger from a
Marine supply place. It claims to have three charge states; a modern
charger. With float at 13.2 or something. When I am using 12 volt in the
trailer I run off the battery, not the charger. Right? The amp draw
capacity of the battery is way higher than the buzz box. Why would I pay
hundreds of dollars for a new combo charger/converter when all I need is
a charger?

Am I wrong here? I've read the 'ample power' books and lived off 6 big
Trojans and solar panels for house power in the mountains of haiti. Why
would I need anything other than a smart charger?