The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Dometic fridge replaced

I have completed the installation of my replacement refrigerator and am quite
pleased with the results. I replaced the original Dometic fridge from my 74 SS
Continal Supreme with a Norcold N641. The installation was so easy. The opening
required by the Norcold was identical in width but required a slight modification
in height. I had to build a 4" stand for the Norcold to sit on and the large 120V
outlet needed to be repositioned but it fit beautifully.
I met with Eddie in Houston last Friday and received a few tips on powering the
unit with the required 12 vdc used to power the control module. For now I have
followed the installation instructions and ran 10G wire directly from the battery
with a 20amp fusible link. This was primarily just to test the operation of the
unit. I will be using a separate 12vdc charger for daily operation.
Marie is very pleased with the new unit. The light in the fridge, digital display
and larger freezer are great. The fridge also has room inside for a gallon size
milk container (its to bad I can no longer afford a gallon of milk)
Kidding aside if anyone else is contemplating replacing their fridge I recommend it,
its not a difficult task. Have a great day Curt