The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] WD hitch

"The WD hitch is set to transfer some of the weight to the front axle which does
improve the ride and the steering."

Tongue weight transfer to the front axle of the tow vehicle is inherent to the WD
system. It also removes weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle and adds
weight to the trailer axle(s).
Because the WD system loads the hitch coupler socket and ball much greater than
with a simple weight carrying hitch, 2 5/16" ball and proper lubrication is essential,
though many years ago it was done with a 2" ball.
Al

-- Keneth Wilson <ke5dfr@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I also tow my SS with a WD sytems.  I use a Reese Dual Cam HP which is both sway control
and weight distributing.  The truck can well handle the relative light load on the hitch.
My truck has an 11,500# GVWR and actual weight is about 8000#, so it can carry 3500# in
the back.

The WD hitch is set to transfer some of the weight to the front axle which does improve
the ride and the steering.

I am an engineer and like to make sure we have everything SAFE.  With a well balanced
trailer, you can never say that it will never sway.  You never know when you will get hit
by the sudden gust of wind from a passing vehicle, over a river or such.  The sway control
is cheap insurance for that one time that you might need it.

Ken Wilson
KE5DFR@sbcglobal.net
Cypress, Texas