The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] SS sabre logo casting

If you use an original logo casting as a pattern, the new aluminum casting will
be smaller than the original. Perhaps it won't make any difference, since Tom
had just that done.

There are alloys that can be used that will not shrink, such as "linotype" lead
alloys, which expand very slightly (to fill typesetting molds for sharpness) rather
than shrink. There are also alloys like "Cerrosafe" that behave similarly. Cerro
Metals Corp. has Cerrosafes that melt at relatively low temperatures. These are
used by many Model Railroaders and other modelers to duplicate parts with high
detail. Some will melt even in near-boiling water, so enterprising RVers might
cast parts in their kitchens!
Al

-- Patti Glover <silverstreaker1966@yahoo.com> wrote:

Jason, any news on casting the SILVERSTREAK logos? Thanks....patti

Jason Parks <jjparks@shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi Patti, I have a '66 Sabre that has 1 complete original logo. I have a friend who owns
a foundry business and I had planned to ask him to make a pattern and cast the lettering
into aluminum. Something finally lucky about being from the rainy BC coast! as the letters
haven't cracked and disintegrated like they would've in some nice warm sunny climate!

If you're interested I can find out how much it would be to get a couple more cast -- as
the more that he can cast, the cheaper it'll be for all.
Jason