The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] size of propane tanks

Sadly, you can find contradictory postings as to hitch weight elsewhere,
even on the Sherline site.  Whatever, I think that this posting originally
dealt with the necessity of maintaining sufficient tongue weight to avoid
sway.  That still is the main point.  Too much weight can damage the tow
vehicle, which is the other item  to avoid.

I don't tow a tricycle, but rather a tandem axle trailer, and I don't
experience sway, nor do I have anywhere near the weight which would damage
my tow vehicle.  I am very happy with 800 lbs. tongue weight from a 4,500 -
5,000 trailer which follows the tow vehicle obediently during an average
useage of around 10,000 miles per year.  In my case, I have an excellent
tongue weight situation.

The original posting did not address the type of tow vehicle to be used, but
this may well affect the tongue weight desired by that member.  In any
event, suggestions have now been provided for weights from between 7% and
20%.  If practical, I suggest he try for about 15%.

-Tom