The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] RE: Silver Streak Digest V1 #595

Took the trailer from north of Houston to Dallas on the old and
sidewall-cracked Carlisle bias-plyB tires. Installed Hensley Arrow and took
off for Corpus Christi.

An under-trailer inspection revealed the following: broken shock mount (upper
on rear axle, starboard), broken spring mount (rear, also on starboard), and
the spareB tireB showed bald tread on the inside. Assuming that this was the
"best" tire when all were replaced, the others must have been quite poor. The
shock absorbers were obviously old.

At CORPUS CHRISTI SPRING (Henry Casas, Sr, owner) the axles were checked for
alignment and the rear was off by just over 1/4". The wheel bearings were
replaced and the mounts re-welded. One shock was removed (lower bolt is 5/8").
The suspension is original (no "axle flip").

After some clean-up this is what was found stamped:

610843
MAECO
HOS5-27-82-1

This build date accords with the trailers at 5/24/83.

Dimensions:

Compressed: 8.0"
Extended: 12.25"
Travel: 4.25"
Static: about 9.50"

A long Internet search for cross-reference ensued after two shops tried to
find replacements, all to no avail. I called TENNECO (parent company of MONROE
and RANCHO) as "MAECO" is the old acronym for Monroe. They couldn't find this
number. I worked with two techs afterwards (and lately learned my error in
measurements thus this corrected thread), and went through several shock
absorber purchases.B

The best of these, from the aspect of capacity was the GAS MAGNUM 555031
spec'd for the front of theB FORDB E-350 cutawaychassis; the gross axle rating
is 4,000-4,600 lbs which accords decently with the 8,000-lb GVWR of this
trailer.

Here's a comparison:

The MONROE HEAVY DUTY catalog lists the 555002 shock as compatible with the
axles on this trailer as part of it's Retrofit Kit. That shock measures:

Compressed: 8.59
Extended: 12.75"
Travel: 4.125"

Compression measured at 319/lbs; Rebound at 100/lbs.

The "measured" shock that would appear to fit (were I to peel back the
underbelly for access to the frame to change the upper mount) is the 555001:

Compressed: 7.82"
Extended: 11.85"
Travel: 4.03"

Compression measured at 259/lbs and Rebound at 95/lbs

A better choice, IMO, would be the 555025 (all three of these are marketed as
trailer shock absorbers):

Compressed: 8.59"
Extended: 13.59"
Travel: 4.90

Compression at 412/lbs; Rebound at 146/lbs

But none of these three would work due to mount differences. The 555031
performs at: Compression 630-lbs/Rebound 209-lbs.

My guess -- at this point and a dozen different shocks considered -- that
these last two shocks bracket the probable range.

Due to lack of time, the followingB properly-sizedB shock absorber was used:

MONROE 911171B REFLEXB truck shock absorber. The listed application is
theB NISSAN XTERRAB 4wd. About a 3,500-lb GVW front axle, marginal, IMO, as
the trailer is always at this weight, not at gross as the little truck would
be.

911171

Compressed: 8.03"
Extended: 11.875"
Travel: 3.875

(No performance specs given).

I plan at some point to break off the old upper mounts and go with a
555031-size shock. For those who are not interested in modifications, then
note that there are some 911171 cross-references that may work and are built
better such as KYB Gas-A-Just and Bilstein Heavy Duty. Measure and call those
reps.

WHEEL AND TIRE BALANCE

I considered using the method recommended by Andy of Inland RV (lug-centric)
but instead opted for CENTRAMATIC WHEEL BALANCERS as they have a good
reputation the past 22-years. I dealt with "Tudor" (sp?) a very nice Texas gal
at their shop south of Fort Worth. As these wheels (WESTERN, Model 26) are
5.5" bolt circle, 6-bolt, 15", she advised me to use "A" unit,B stocknumber
300-556 (4 ea).B

I purchased new tires from my DISCOUNT TIRE dealer as take-outs (they can only
install ST tires at the shop):

YOKOHAMA RY-215 in LT 7.00R-15, rated at 2,040-lbs (as per Silver Streak
weight guidelines). This was the tire I found in the trunk and would have
purchased as I wish to avoid any Goodyear tire, and have no desire for
Carlisle or Maxxis. It is a commercial trailer and truck tire with a good
reputation. Indeed, it balanced out (on a HUNTER GSP-9700) between 8-lbs and
22-lbs. This tire is a bit tall, but the small amount of paint wear on the
underside of the wheelwell tells me that the previous owner had little problem
with it. As I have replaced the shocks (and will upgrade) I expect no
problem.

In fact, in a 540-mile drive after installation on a 100F day my infrared
thermometer never showed above 127F on any tire (same as the new Michelins on
my truck), and pressure (65-psi cold) didn't rise above 71-psi. The
temperature variation was less than 5F.

And the balance of tires and balancers appear to have worked well. My wife
told me she had left a one-third full short paper cup of tea in one of the
little corner racks over the bed and that it had not spilled after a long day
on the road. The cat was obviously less stressed than in the first few trips.

New lug nuts, heat-treated, were installed as the old ones were looking
poorly, as were new steel valve stems.

I believe I felt less at theB steeringB wheel during this trip, that is, a
reduction of vibration though this may be wishful thinking.