From: waymark1@juno.com <waymark1@juno.com>
To: sslist@tompatterson.com
Sent: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:05 am
Subject: Re: [SilverStreak] Re: Airstream & Silver Streak

The SS dual axles, like most multiple axle setups using leaf springs, are
equalized between axles thus the load on each axle should be the same, some
small difference due to the friction of the rocker and shackled pins and
bushings being normal.
Rubber axles such as are used on Airstreams and a few others are not
equalized,
thus the trailer must be set up absolutely level to have the same load on each
axle.
Al

-- thetansedan@aol.com wrote:

My S/S is overburdened on the rear axle, and a triple axle set-up (preferably
with more suspension travel alleviate this.  As to tires, I went to a
commercial
duty YOKOHAMA with a tread 20% narrower than Goodyear Marathons and of 15%
heavier construction.  I have had it cranked over on brand-new scored concrete
(the toughest test) and the sidewall looked almost normal.

Tire selection matters, here.

I have no "problem" per se, with conventional leaf-sprung axles, but they can
use some help (panhard rods, probably) to make them more effective. I doubt I
can change the weight balance problem, and would prefer to able to spread the
load across six versus four tires.